Friday 27 November 2015

Worth an early start?

King Philippe of the Belgians (left) looks a little bemused as he is handed a black and white leaflet and told that Roland Duchatelet is not very popular in SE7.

Yesterday evening I was on a panel with staff members from Aston Villa and West Bromwich Albion giving presentations to an audience of football fans. The presentations from Villa and West Brom were insightful, and the Baggies representative reminded me that the head of marketing there is a keen Charlton fan as well as running his own non-league club. Inevitably, even in the Midlands, there was a Charlton fan in the audience seeking solace about the fate of the club. I wasn't able to give him much hope of a real change in direction.

There has been some speculation that there will be additional disruptive protests beyond that planned for two minutes. It has been suggested that we might risk a fine or even a points deduction or even that the match could be abandoned. I think that it is a bit far fetched, but I don't like the idea of fans blowing whistles during the game. Once the 'proportionate' protest has been made, the need is to focus on the game in the hope that we might come away with one point or even three.

Katrien Meire has urged fans to 'stand up to negativity', which could be interpreted as clocking the bloke behind me, but I think not.

Given that it will be an especially early start for me tomorrow, I did contemplate not coming at all, but I will make the journey.

Remember that the latest issue of Voice of the Valley will be on sale tomorrow before the game. Just look for the gnomes and elves decked out in smart black and white outfits.

No comments: