Monday 15 December 2014

Kevin Nicholls remembers

One time Charlton midfielder Kevin Nicholls has a double page spread on his career in this week's Football League Paper. It was of particular interest to me as my late wife was one of his kit sponsors.

Nicholls recalls going to Charlton 'when I was about 14 or 15 after being scouted by Lee Bowyer's dad, Dave Bowyer, and it just went from there. I was coached by John Cartwright, Neil Banfield, who is now part of the Arsenal set up, Keith Peacock and Alan Curbishley.'

'It was a very good family club and I'll always owe them for giving me my first pro contract and making me a professional footballer.'

Nicholls recalls going as a sub at Roker Park aged 17 and coming up against Kevin Ball: 'He just steamrollered me and gave me a lesson in the physicality of the game.'

Nicholls had to retire from the game at the age of 31 through injury and now works for the Elite Management Agency.

One of my memories of Nicholls is of him scoring an early and perhaps rather lucky goal in a match against (I think) Sheffield United.

No comments: