Sunday 26 January 2014

Belgian invasion boosts Addicks

That is the headline in the Football League Paper this morning. It notes that Roland Duchatelet 'recently took over the struggling Addicks and looks to be solving their woes by sharing resources [with Standard Liege].'

Astrit Ajdarevic or 'Astrid' as some supporters have dubbed him is the focus of the article. The Yugoslavian-born Swede joined Liverpool in 2007, but then went out on loan to Leicester City. Chris Powell, Yann Kermorgant and Michael Morrison were there. Hit by a hamstring injury which kept him out for six months he failed to make a first team appearance for the Foxes and was sent on to Orebro SK in Sweden.

He told the FLP, 'I'm different as a person and a player. I'm more mature. I've played in some big leagues and the national team. I don't feel I have a point to prove to anyone but myself and Charlton.'

On Chris Powell, he said: 'Chris is a good coach and a good man, he's fair and in football not a lot of coaches are fair. If he stays, he stays, if he goes, he goes. It's up to him I suppose.'

Unfortunately, Ajdarevic only got a '5' from the FLP for his performance at Huddersfield yesterday: 'Made little impression on the game, but showed a few nice touches.'

I am aware of the rumours concerning Hull City's Matty Fryatt. There is some uncertainty about his future at Hull, although his performance at Southend yesterday must have boosted his chances of staying. In any case, there is no independent confirmation of any link with Charlton.

No comments: