Tuesday 2 February 2010

Back to winning ways at Walsall?

The contrast between the workmanlike but entirely adequate performance I saw by Charlton at Wycombe and the frankly poor display at The Valley on Saturday was remarkable. One conclusion that I have drawn is that The Valley crowd might actually might have become a negative factor. Tonight's match against Walsall might show whether this straw is worth clutching to.

There seems to be a consensus among many Addicks that now is the time to revert to 4-5-1, bringing the rested Shelvey back in the roaming role. Semedo is clearly a worry, but there might well be a case for bringing back the ever patient Spring: he may not be brilliant, but he is solid. I remain sceptical about Racon who seems to be something of a showboater to me.

If we switch to 4-4-2 at some point, I would bring on Akpo Sodje who at least unsettles the opposition. One could start with this combination. Sam has been having an indifferent spell and there might well be a case for starting with Wagstaff in the right.

The team allows needs to be told that they have now have a useful outlet on the left in the form of Kyel Reid.

The back four remain unchanged. Elliot is to have a late fitness test. Randolph was ok on Saturday except for a nervous punch out when he should have gathered the ball: for a moment I thought I was watching Chris Kiely at The New Windmill Ground.

That is where I shall be tonight for a needle derby between Leamington and Rugby Town. Rugby are bottom of the Zamaretto Premiership but are enjoying a revival, having drawn 1-1 at Nuneaton on Saturday.

At the moment I am enjoying my ice hockey more than my football: it's nice to support a team that is top of a league even if there are only eight clubs in it and the game is played with bent sticks (I had to play grass hockey at school on a playing field next to the girls' high school, you can imagine the comments).

Leamington are at mid-table which is good enough in their first season in the Southern Premiership and the level of moaning is relatively low, at least in the Sheepside stand.

A famous sports historian once said to me that supporting a club was to be endured not enjoyed and I know what he means. Nevertheless, I am going to stick my neck out and forecast a 2-1 win for the Addicks at Walsall tonight (the scene of a famous cup final victory for the Brakes).

Once again this will be the only Charlton blog at Harbury Lane and unfortunately Paul May cannot make it to Walsall from Erith tonight, but we will use wire services to provide a summary.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good approach play with both Reid and Wagstaffe making inroads against the Saddlers defence was let down by poor finishing and misplaced passes. With less than 4000 present tonight there were a few others who took your option Wyn.