Tuesday 21 October 2008

Why I will not be at The Valley tonight

Like Alan Pardew, I have some good excuses. I have an important meeting at work and it would be difficult to get away in time to get to London. I wouldn't get back until about 1 a.m. and I have to be up at 6.30 a.m. tomorrow.

To be honest, though, I usually have made it to mid-week evening matches in the past and I don't feel that motivated to go. Moreover, I am sure I am not the only season ticket holder who won't be there.

Alan Pardew has admitted, 'Where we stand at the minute is not ideal by any means but there's a long long way to go and if that character comes out Tuesday night like it did Saturday then we'll get a positive result. If we take that effort and form into Tuesday night we'll get a strong result.'

Those who were at Cardiff said that we played quite well until they scored and then our heads went down. It's a team that's lacking in confidence. Bristol City are ten places ahead of us in the table, but we are only separated by three points. A win tonight would give us an important boost.

However, we have serious defensive problems with Fortune injured, Hudson suspended and Primus only half fit. Cranie can be moved to the centre leaving room for a rare appearance by Moutaoukil, given that Semedo is also suspended. Apparently, consideration is being given to playing Youga at centre back which, given his erratic if often inspired play, should be a sight to behold.

Josh Wright has been recalled from his loan spell in Brentford which is a sensible move in the circumstances as it gives us more options.

Like many of the Addickted, I am frustrated with Pardew. But he isn't going to go soon, sacking him would leave a further hole in our finances and there is no readily available alternative, other than Phil Parkinson as 'caretaker'.

In any case, the club is still in a state of limbo while due diligence proceeds. The puffs of smoke have been looking grey rather than white in the last few days, but until there is an announcement to the contrary, there is still hope that a deal can be done.

I notice that the club has told the News Shopper that the story about Zabeel switching their attention to Everton looked as if it was made up as there was no quotes or other substantiation. Moreover, the club insisted that due diligence was proceeding and one can't expect it to be completed that quickly, even if reports in the Mercury suggested that it might be a done deal by the weekend.

It would just be my luck if the deal was announced this afternoon and the new owners appeared on the pitch to acknowledge the salaams of the crowd.

1 comment:

Dave said...

Wyn,

If the Zabeel contingent enter the arena as conquering heroes, I only hope that Dennis Wise isn't with them. That would be one rumour too many for me. I would probably make the centre-circle before being halted by security!

Dave.