Saturday 18 October 2008

More Zabeel rumours

This time it's the Sun saying that they have decided to buy Everton instead:
Sun

In many ways I think that the Sun is a better newspaper than many people allow and their political coverage is often very well informed (they had, at least until recently, a first class political editor). The other side of the coin is when a journalist there asked me if I could get him on a boat on the EU's 'wine lake', no doubt accompanied by some young ladies displaying their assets.

I don't attach much credibility to this story because I don't think Zabeel do business in this way. But until the deal is signed and sealed, I will be nervous. I think it could be just in time for the Bristol City game.

Since I first posted this story, a normally well informed person has stated on the Glynne Jones list: 'For what it's worth, Charlie Wyett [the writer of the story] is someone well known to Charlton, who lives locally and knows the club. If the Sun have put the story on the back page - and I haven't seen the paper - they obviously believe it is credible.

In many ways I think that this takeover is the last best chance for Charlton. If it does not go through, the future is bleak.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My reaction on reading the story was the same, i.e. I remain anxious that the deal completes, but would be surprised if this were true. As you imply, what sort of business begins the due diligence process on an acquisition and then suddenly decides to buy something else? It's not as if they can have only just have found out about Everton! If that club were potentially interesting why hadn't there been a dialogue before? I was concerned last week (and made the point in comment on this blog) that a related (literally!) party in Dubai was still interested in Liverpool. Supposing that is true, is the family really going to buy both Liverpool and Everton?!! Finally, the Sun argues that Everton would be better value at £200m. Really? Can't see that and in the context of the Zabeel portfolio its actually too big. I've convinced myself that that not only is Zabeel ideal for us, but we are ideal for it; a genuine "value play" in the right location, great management and strong potential. I hope I'm right!!

Wyn Grant said...

I hope you are right as well. It is the Dubai Investment Corporation that is interested in Liverpool, but now that the sports minister is a Toffee, they may think that Everton is a better bet. There are some interesting points of sports law here about conflict of interest rules.

Anonymous said...

Of more concern is our continued poor form that in itself could put Zabeel of. In short we have no chance of promotion this season. If they did take us over the January window would offer no relief as it is very hard to acquire anyone decent at that time of year. On that basis Zabeel may think that 2010/2011 is the first realistic date we might expect to be back in the Premier League. Why wait that long?

Anonymous said...

Anon do not be so pessimistic.With 3 home games out of the next 4we could be 10 points better off?