Wednesday 23 July 2008

So, farewell then, Mark Robson

What has been rumoured for some time has now been confirmed by the club: Mark Robson has left the stadium. He says that he is ambitious and wants a chance to be a manager or assistant manager elsewhere. Good luck to him.

The first time I sponsored a Charlton match was for my 50th birthday and Robson was voted Player of the Match. We lost 1-2 to Stoke and he commented, 'I always get the award when we lose.' Fans will remember the goal he scored from a free kick against Newcastle United in an away cup game.

Should Alan Pardew fail to satisfy after six matches or so, what are the odds on a Mark Kinsella/Phil Parkinson pairing recalling the days of Curbs and Steve Gritt?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This has got to go down as simple economics. Another sign we haven't got much money. If the club are being careful it's fine by me, we all remember the eighties, but why be so secretive. Surely a statement like 'Dowie drained us dry' would only strength our bargaining position when we do buy.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to say I was being semi ironic in my previous statement about why we didn't keep all our young players over the years. The club didn't have a need for those players at the time and certainly didn't think they would get relegated.

But I'll also add that I find it really funny that the years in the prem coincided with when we had close to zero youth players come through the system, yet now we are back in the championship we have at least 5 or 6 players coming through! I think curbs sacrificed the youth set up in order to stay in the prem.