Tuesday 11 March 2008

The trek north

I am one of just over 200 fans who have bought tickets for tonight's match at Burnley. I expect some more to turn up on the gate, particularly those who live up north, but if we get 300 we will be lucky. Cue chants of 'Is this all you bring away?' Leamington will probably have more at Cinderford on Saturday.

I had to come in on the bus this morning which took me one hour from door to door rather than 15 minutes by car. M6 notwithstanding, it will be a mad dash to get to Turf Moor by kick off. I have a heavy working day tomorrow so don't expect an early report. What we do for our Addicktion!

A Tuesday night away fixture that far north is never going to be that attractive to those living in S.E.London and Kent, although I know that some faithful supporters from the West Sussex branch are coming. After Saturday's shocking performance, there is little encouragement to come. If we play like that we will lose 4-1 which is the sort of margin we used to beat the Clarets by at The Valley with the Bloke Behind Me screaming 'they're all over you Charlton.'

A lot of things about football fans puzzle me, but the reading off results from the table, form etc. is one of them. Having played badly on Saturday, the team have all the more incentive to play well tonight. If we lose, our chances of a play off place are looking grim. But we can play much better than we did on Saturday.

I was hoping Andy Gray would start against his old team, but now I know the 'personal reasons' all I can say is that there are many things that are more important than football. Similarly, I understand that Greg Halford suffered a bereavement last week and should have been given compassionate leave on Saturday. Why did not Pards not start Moutaoukil?

I understand that Cook is far from fit which makes him an appropriate recruit for Charlton, although I do not think we have lost out financially. Sinclair is reported to be suffering from a rather unusual problem according to Sparrows Lane sources and should not be played for the time being.

I would therefore play 4-5-1 with Lita up front. He might have done a lot better on Saturday if he had had some decent service. I would rest the knackered Zhi and put Ambrose just behind him which is where he plays best. I would bring Semedo in to use his cultured skills to protect the defence while Holland would start as well. Sam's injury on Saturday looked quite nasty so guess that we should play Varney as a winger.

Bougherra's injury seems unduly persistent, but I would not bring in Fortune as someome recommended. I would stick with Sodje (who can score) and, of course, McCarthy who is now a candidate for player of the year (who would have thought that early in the season?) Moutaoukil on the right and Thatcher on the left if fit. If he isn't, I would seriously consider starting with Powell, so bad was Youga on Saturday. I'm glad I'm not the manager.

I really have no idea of the score, but the Sub-Standard is said to be predicting, 'ADDICKS BRACED BY NORTH' and I am going for a 2-1 win for Charlton.

3 comments:

charlton north-downs said...

My utmost respect to you and all the traveling fans for tonights match and I hope the players put on a show for all you loyal away fans.

ChicagoAddick said...

So Gray, Halford and Sinclair are not injured but have problems.

Hmmm, they should try being Charlton fans.

Wyn Grant said...

There are some things in life that are way more important than football. In Gray's case this is certainly true. The club has decided not to make the nature of the problems know which I think is an error.