Tuesday 4 March 2008

Shipshape and Bristol fashion

Pards can be expected to start with a 4-4-2 at The Valley tonight and the most likely combination will be Varney and Iwelumo. Iwelumo has faced a lot of criticism from Charlton fans even though he has shown that he can score goals. Admittedly, some of them are tap ins, but I can recall strikers at The Valley who missed tap ins. They all count.

Quite what has gone on between Gray and Pards I have no idea, although my Burnley supporting friend says they have not missed him there. But he will surely be on the bench tonight to provide cover. If not, something strange is happening.

Scott Sinclair is likely to make his home debut and is likely to be accompanied in midfield by Zhi and Holland. Who the fourth player will be remains to be seen, although I would drop Holland and place Ambrose in the centre as I think he could score against the Robins.

With Bougherra still on the Sparrows Lane treatment table the back four picks itself: Youga, Sodje, McCarthy, Halford. Weaver in goal, of course.

My record of forecasting results recently is poor. I thought we would win at Blackpool and draw at best at Bramall Lane. Some might say that this match has a 1-1 written all over it, but I have been overcome by irrational exuberance and will go for 2-1.

The match report tomorrow is likely to be delayed by work commitments.

No comments: