Thursday 7 February 2008

Temperance tavern for Addickted?

Charlton fans may soon have their first temperance tavern for before and after match drinks with the news that the Rose of Denmark on the Woolwich Road is considering becoming a juice, sodas and mineral water bar.

A regular there commented, 'Some of the lads decided to combat the demon drink as long as two years ago and they have been on the wagon since then. Now others are joining them and taking the pledge. It's getting to the stage where someone who comes in and orders a pint of Dermot's Guinness is looked on as a social pariah.'

Alcohol users may be allowed to continue drinking in the garden area.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's not April 1 yet is it?

Dave said...

Wyn,

I don't think Charlton's best barman could work in a teetotal bar. Come to think about it, I'm not sure landlady Kath would tolerate it and owner Ken Ryan certainly wouldn't (unless it was more profitable).

Wyn Grant said...

There is a basis of fact to this. When I buy my pint of Guinness, I almost feel that someone is going to tap me on the shoulder and hand me an Alcoholics Anonymous card.

Ken Jennings said...

Thank goodness for that, Wyn. I was worried about getting together in an alcoholic environment.