Friday 15 February 2008

Can we draw the hornets' sting?

I am getting a bit exhausted by being told that games are crucial, but tomorrow's against league leaders Watford certainly falls into that category.

'League leaders Watford' has an odd ring in my ear as I still tend to see clubs as they were in the 1950s when the Hornets were a run of the mill Third Division South team in a nondescript town on the outskirts of London known for printing the Radio Times and other mass circulation magazines of the day.

The current team has an excellent manager, but the club also has deeply rooted financial problems only partially eased by a year in the Premiership. Hence the sale of Marlon King.

I would say that the Charlton defence once again picks itself. Varney clearly has to start up front. I would still have Gray to accompany him. I don't think he is going to score many goals, but he can outwit opposition defences and serve as a good provider to Varney.

Holland and Zheng Zhi clearly have to start. On the wings I would drop Sam and Ambrose. Both of them in my view have been disappointing in recent matches. Indeed from the East Stand one can clearly see the frustration in Sam's face as he can see that he has failed to make the right move once again. I would start Lee Cook against his former club (with whom he was once involved in litigation) and I would use the apparently recovered Thomas as well. I know that we can expect sulks, showboating and indifferent final balls, but at least he gets behind the opposition's defence.

The Hornets have an excellent away record. They have scored three more goals away than Charlton have scored at home. However, they will have to face Nicky Weaver in the Charlton goal. The last three matches between the two clubs have ended in a draw. For those who like to read off the results, a draw seems the obvious outcome. While this is a match that could go one of three ways, I am feeling relatively optimistic and forecast a 2-1 win for the Addicks.

No comments: