Friday 2 November 2007

Looking on the bright side of life

Charlton have not won away at Southampton for nearly twenty years, but Alan Pardew is trying to put the best spin on the recent poor run of form by the Addicks. He commented, 'I take it [the defeats] very hard, as do my team and my staff. The three games have put us under pressure but we have to work with that. The two games coming up look very difficult on paper, but in some ways that might be the best thing for us, a change of agenda.'

Southampton have a shaky defence at the best of times, but have five defenders injured. Also doubtful is former Charlton player Jason Euell who may therefore be unable to score against his old club as so many in this category appear to be doing this season, e.g., Bothroyd.

The smart money appears to be on a 4-5-1 formation on the grounds of let's change things and Varney's recent disappointing performances. Zheng Zhi would then play in the hole behind Big Chris. This might work with the right service from the likes of Lloyd Sam and if we don't try to play every ball through Andy Reid.

Defensively, Grant Basey will feature again: let's hope he will have the confidence to be a little more adventurous. Sodje also looks likely to feature in central defence and at least he is willing to get involved. Danny Mills is one of our better players and his attacking moves are worthwhile, but he needs to avoid getting caught out of position.

We will be travelling on the West Sussex coast from Porchester. I have a number of friends and colleagues who support Southampton, but previous encounters have seen some trouble between fans of the two clubs, although I cannot think why. On one walk to the station, I was invited to come across the road and fight by one charm merchant and was also pelted with 50p coins.

I am not too optimistic that Charlton will turn things round, but I think we will see some goals and I am going for a 2-2 draw, Zhi and Basey scoring for Charlton.

On an entirely different matter, I see that the winter break issue has been brought up again, well paid Premiership footballers claiming that they get 'burnt out' by mid-season.

This, of course, is in the country with a long hours culture. I normally get to work around 8 a.m. On Wednesday, I finished at 9.30 p.m.; yesterday it was an early finish at 8 p.m.,; tonight it looks like 9.30 to 10 p.m. and some work to take home for Sunday. And I am not a fit young footballer.

I know that playing matches at a high level is mentally and physically draining. But sometimes I do wonder if top level footballers can ask for too much.

See you at St.Mary's!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wish we did play some more balls through Reid...All we seem to do is hoof it up to Iwelumo who is fast becoming our worst striker. Bcaddick.

Anonymous said...

Surely it should be up to the paying customers whether there is a mid season break or not. Personally I don't see the point. If the season finishes later, every other year it will run into the Euro Championships or the World Cup so there will be no summer break at all. Then they will moan about that.

Anonymous said...

And didn't big chris make me eat my words! I'm not complaining though! Bcaddick