Monday 3 September 2007

A nice touch

Catching up on events while I have been in the States, I thought that it was a nice touch to dedicate last Saturday's victory over Norwood to Richard Murray.

Alan Pardew, who had stressed the significance of the game to his players the previous day, paid tribute to the backing he had received from Murray. Captain Andy Reid said, 'The manager made a point to us the previous day that I thought was very important. He said we've got a very good chairman at the club in Richard Murray, he'sbeen brilliant, and little results like this in derby games we can maybe dedicate to him.'

'He's a big Charlton fan and he looks after us. It's brilliant to get these results and it gives everyone - the supporters, the players, the people around the club and the people on the board - a lift.'

Pards added: 'I think sometimes it gets bypassed that Richard has to make decisions on their contracts and so on, so the players owe him a favour. I owe him a favour, too, so it was a nice win.'

I had missed the fact that we had been drawn away in the Carling Cup to Luton. The Chicago Addick and I agreed that the best outcome for the Addicks would be a respectable loss to a top Premiership club.

Now we have to try and beat Luton away at their antiquated ground to save face. Do you still have to climb through a back garden to reach the away end?

No comments: