Saturday 15 September 2007

The media blackout - but not in East Angular

The New York Addick talks about the virtual media blackout on Charlton in his latest post. However, at least the East Anglian Daily Times (I think it was a Big Brother contestant who called it 'East Angular' and thought it was abroad) has a full preview: Colchester

The New York Addick says that the lack of media coverage means that the blogging community have to fall back on each other for mutual support, literally it seems in the case of the New York and Chicago Addicks who enjoyed a few drinks earlier in the week in the Big Apple. A shame that the Salt Lake City Addick's drinking options are limited by the local culture.

Unfortunately, I am going to let you down on the Norwich City match. Much of my life these days is spent on planes and in hotels (my blog instructions have started appearing in German). On Sunday I'm off to Valencia for a meeting of a UN committee I am on. It's back to Greenwich on Wednesday evening to stay overnight, then the Eurostar to Brussels for a Commission sponsored congress at which I am a speaker.



These UN committee meetings can be quite gruelling and fraught as the photo of me arguing with the Brazilian delegate at the Chilean diplomatic academy shows. I think we got on to the Falklands/Malvinas.



The upside is the lavish hospitality that is provided (when I hosted the committee in Bath in April the bill came to 12k, and some thought that the hospitality was not generous enough). The photo shows me enjoying what I think was the best glass of red wine I have ever had in my life in the courtyard of the presidential palace in Santiago, Chile.

The Spanish have laid on an excellent evening programme, but despite the fact that is Valencia, no football. If there is a game on, I know that some of the other committee members are football fans so we may sneak away to see the club with which we are supposed to have some sort of link. I don't suppose I will have time to view a Llanera apartment, though.

We've had some exciting games against the Canaries in the past, in particular I remember a 4-4 draw when we were 2-4 down not long from the end. I have a soft spot for them, particularly as my business partner Jez on www.footballeconomy.com is a Canary. However, I am hoping for a 2-1 win on Tuesday. In the words of Peter Varney, enjoy the game.

No comments: