Friday 20 July 2007

What is the fate of Simon Walton?

Left off the plane for Spain, he featured in the Charlton Athletic XI that fought out a 0-0 draw with Whyteleafe.

When he came to Charlton, he was immediately loaned out, presumably because he was not the finished article. He presumably is still not the finished article and has gained a reputation for being sent off.

What it does mean is that we still lack any strength in depth in central midfield as the New York Addick has humorously pointed out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agreed on all fronts
I've seen Walton play a few times now and although I think its possible he will make it ( he reminds me a lot of Aizlewood , who everyone hated when he first played because he was slow and big, but grew to appreciate his leadership qualities) he definitely won't be a crowd favourite at first and its more than possible that he'll never be quite good enough , unless we get relegated again , which in my view is entirely possible without a decent midfield !!!!

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking exactly the same thing and find his situation puzzling considering all the positive reports I've heard on him. I believe he could be our best defensive midfielder if given the chance but I trust Pards judgement.

Anonymous said...

If Walton was any good he would have played at the end of last season when Zheng and Song were quite plainly not good enough. He was not considered any better so therein lies the answer

Anonymous said...

I think he gets sent off because he is so slow, he is always late. I've seen him play several times and he is not the future, no composure on the ball and hoofs it when he gets it. Cannot think of any praise except he is a trier.